An easy & healthy cream of mushroom soup that requires just a few simple ingredients and is out of this world good. This soup is going to be a winner for vegans and non-vegans alike!
- 2/3 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or at least 8 hours*
- ~1 large russet potato, peeled and roughly chopped (for 1 cup mashed potatoes)
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms (we used a mix of oyster, shiitake, and crimini), diced
- 1/2 cup oil-free caramelized onions*
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium and oil-free vegetable broth (we recommend homemade or the Engine 2 brand)
- 1⁄4–1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, as desired
- 1⁄8–1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Drain cashews and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a steamer pot and steam until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- As the potatoes steam, cook the garlic and mushrooms. In a medium pan over medium heat, add about 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth. Once heated, add the garlic and sauté until golden or about 2-3 minutes. Add in all of the mushrooms and cook down until they have reduced to about half of their size, about 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add them to a high-speed blender along with half of the vegetable broth and cashews. Blend until smooth and then add the mushroom and garlic mixture, caramelized onions, and the remaining ingredients. Pulse until uniform but still chunky or to your texture of choice. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm with a garnish of fresh thyme. This pairs well with fresh bread and (vegan) red wine*!
- If you would like to speed up the soaking time of the cashews, soak your cashews in boiling water for 20 minutes as you prepare the potatoes and mushroom mixture.
- You could also opt to use 1 medium diced onion instead of the caramelized onions. Simply add that in with the garlic and sauté them together for 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of salt to taste.
- Barnivore is a great tool to use to verify that your wine is vegan!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes