An easy take on tofu scramble made with black beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and onions. Seasoned to perfection with nutritional yeast, turmeric, and black salt, this recipe is sure to be your new favorite!
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed (learn how here)
- ~1/4 cup water, to sauté
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/3 cup finely diced bell peppers
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional but recommended)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional but recommended)
- ~1/4-1/2 teaspoon kala namak (Indian black salt for the eggy flavor; highly recommended!)
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of water. Once heated, add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the zucchini, bell peppers, and mushrooms, and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through, adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to prevent burning.
- Once cooked, push the contents of the pan to the side of the pan and add in the nutritional yeast. Toast over medium heat for about 1 minute, mixing often to prevent burning.
- Add in the remaining seasonings except for the kala namak and mix until uniform. Using clean hands, finely crumble the tofu into the pan and mix well until all of the tofu is coated.
- Add in the black beans and mix through. Cook for 3-5 minutes more, or until the egg mixture has dried out to your desired consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove the scramble from heat and mix in the kala namak. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of salt or any bread or fruit it is served with.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free