Learn how to make hearty and delicious vegan rye waffles. This recipe is not only simple to make, but it makes the perfect breakfast any day of the week.
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and setting it aside to thicken while you prepare the remaining ingredients, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray it with oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl add in the remainder of the ingredients along with the flax-egg we prepared in step 1. Whisk everything together until batter forms.
- Pour batter into the center of your waffle iron (the amount will vary depending on your iron, so follow the directions of your model), close it, and cook for between 3-7 minutes, or until cooked through. The cooking time may vary depending on your waffle iron.
- Allow waffles to cool slightly, serve with toppings of choice and some maple syrup. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 7 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: breakfast, waffles, whole grain, dairy-free, egg-free, rye, vegan, plant based