Take any dish to the next level with this teriyaki tempeh! It is easy to make, loaded with plant-based protein and requires just 6 simple ingredients.
- 1/4 cup tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup water
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the tempeh and water and set aside.
- Add the sliced tempeh to a large pan over medium heat and pour over the water. Cover and allow the tempeh to cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Uncover and pour in the sauce as evenly as possible and gently stir it through the tempeh. Cook until all of the liquid has cooled off and the tempeh has browned, about 10 minutes. Be sure to flip once or twice, but be careful not to break the tempeh!
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
Keywords: Breakfast, Entree, Vegan, Gluten-free, Tempeh, teriyaki