Let’s make a creamy vegan avocado pesto pasta with sundried tomatoes. This recipe is easy to make, requires 9 simple ingredients, and is ready in 20 minutes. Did we mention that it is packed with flavor, too? It’s perfect for dinner date nights at home or for lunch on the go!
- 16 oz. gluten-free rotini pasta
- 2 medium ripe hass avocados
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic (or 1– 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2–4 tablespoons water, as needed
- 2 large handfuls fresh basil
- ½ cup unsalted walnuts
- 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes*, sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare your pasta according to packaging directions.
- In the meantime, prepare the avocado pesto. In a food processor, add in the avocados, nutritional yeast, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of water. Process until well combined and as smooth as you can get it.
- Add the basil, walnuts, and a big pinch of salt and pepper to the food processor. Pulse until it reaches your desired consistency. You can make this as smooth or as chunky as you’d like. We prefer ours a bit chunky.
- If you would like, you can add additional water to thin out the sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Once the pasta has cooked, drain it and transfer it back into the pot. Add in all of the avocado pesto and mix until uniform. Add in the sun-dried tomatoes and mix until well combined. Dig in!
- We used dry sun-dried tomatoes. In order to hydrate them, add them to a medium bowl, cover them with boiling water and allow them to soak for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, drain the tomatoes and cut them into slices. If you are using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, simply remove them from the oil, shake off as much excess oil as you can, and add them into the pasta. These are usually sliced but if not, slice them into strips.
- This pesto keeps for about 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Due to the avocado, oxidizes fairly quickly and is best served when it is made.
- If you would like, you can leave out the walnuts or replace them with almonds or pine nuts.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Entree, Pasta, Avocado, Pesto, Vegan