A healthy and guilt-free banana bread that is date-sweetened, vegan, oil-free AND gluten-free, but definitely not lacking in flavor or decadence! It is super moist, flavorful and jam packed with only the good stuff.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water)*
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe & spotty bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- + 1 banana to top, sliced it in half lengthwise (optional)
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates, packed
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2–2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (I used 2)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9×5″ bread pan with parchment paper or lightly coat it with oil. Mix the flaxseed meal with the water and stir well. Set aside to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nuts if using. Mix well until uniform and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the dates, almond milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Process until smooth, and then mix in the mashed banana and flax egg with a spoon until combined. Add the date and banana mixture to the dry mixture and stir until a batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and if desired top with the optional banana, cut side facing up (refer to photos in post).
- Place into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick runs clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting.*
- Chia seeds work well in place of flaxseed meal — use 2 tablespoons in its place.
- We recommend cutting the bread with a serrated knife or a very sharp knife — we use this one.
- Nutrition facts do not take into account the addition of nuts.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Vegan