Calling all potato lovers, these crispy garlic and herb smashed potatoes are about to change your life. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, these smashed potatoes are garlicky and down-right delicious.
- 2 pounds small yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, avocado oil or melted vegan butter
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon salt (or as desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or as desired)
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F and lightly grease a baking sheet OR line it with parchment paper/a silicone mat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add in 1 tablespoon of salt along with all of the potatoes and cook on a simmer for about 15-30 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes, so we recommend checking on them every 10 minutes by piercing the largest potato with the tip of a sharp knife. You will know when it’s ready when the knife slides in easily with no resistance.
- In the meantime, grab a small bowl and mix together the oil/butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper until uniform. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and then spread them evenly on your baking sheet. Using a drinking up, measuring cup, or potato masher, press down on the potatoes to “smash” them until they are about 1/2-inch thick (the thinner the potatoes the crispier the result). Be sure to press down on them slowly so that they don’t break! Evenly distribute oil mixture onto the potatoes, trying your best to cover the whole top surface of each.
- Place the potatoes in the oven for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crisped up.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and top them with vegan parmesan cheese as desired. Serve warm with your dipping sauces of choice!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free
Keywords: Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free, Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free,Oven