The ultimate party appetizer that is perfect for the holiday season. This creamy baked onion dip requires just 9 plant-based ingredients, is ready in about an hour and is great for vegans and nonvegans alike. Get ready for a melt-in-your-mouth good recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced white onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1+ cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese (homemade or storebought)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or about 8 hours*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheddar or mozzarella cheese (we use Follow Your Heart)
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- Vegan panko breadcrumbs
- Vegan crackers
- Raw veggies (carrots, celery, bell pepper etc.)
- Pull Apart Bread
- Add 1/4 cup vegetable broth into a pan over medium-low heat. Once warmed, add the onion and cook down for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until caramelized. You will need to add more vegetable broth (1/4 cup at a time) as time passes to prevent burning, but the KEY to perfect caramelization without oil is to only add more broth once all of the previously added liquid has completely cooked off. Once the onions have browned, add in the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until fragrant. Remove the onions from the heat and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grab a baking dish of choice. We used an 8-inch cast iron skillet.
- In a high-speed blender, add the cream cheese, soaked cashews, almond milk, garlic, pepper, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Add the green onions, caramelized onions and garlic, and the vegan cheese shreds. Carefully mix together with a spoon until well combined.
- Pour the dip from the blender into the oven safe dish and top it with a generous amount of panko breadcrumbs. Place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Once baked, broil the dip for 1-2 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm!
- If you want to speed up the cashew soaking process, bring a small pot of water to a boil and then remove it from heat. Add in the cashews and allow them to soak for 20-30 minutes. Drain.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes