- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½+ cup vegetable broth
- 7 medium red potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (canned chickpea liquid)
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour (Or any of choice)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- To garnish: 1 tablespoon fresh green onions
Herbed Corn Flake Crumbs
- 1 cup Erewhon organic corn flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of choice (I used half basil half rosemary)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and garlic along with ¼ cup vegetable broth, and cook until soft and translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add more broth ¼ cup at a time as necessary to prevent burning, then remove from heat.
- In a blender, add the onion and garlic mixture as well as all of the remaining ingredients except for the potatoes, green onions and cereal crumbs. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Mix in the chives and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash and slice the potatoes with a mandolin (if available) into 1/4” slices. Place in a large bowl of water as you go along slicing to prevent browning.
- Drain the sliced potatoes but keep in the large bowl, then pour the cheese mixture over all them.
- This next step is messy, but trust me it’s worth it! Organize the potato slices vertically along the side of the dish, and repeat until tightly packed.
- Pour any excess cheese mixture over BUT ONLY until the top edges still show.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle the corn flake crumbs over the top, then bake another 30 minutes or until golden brown.*
- Let stand for 10 minutes, top with green onions and serve warm.
Herbed Corn Flake Crumbs
- Add the garlic, salt and herbs into a food processor and run until the garlic is minced. Add in the cornflakes in and run until fine.
-If the top starts to brown too much, loosely cover with foil until potatoes are done.
-The cornflakes we used were unsweetened and the only ingredients were corn + salt, so your results will very if you used sweetened cereal.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins