An easy 6-ingredient vegan french toast! The classic comfort breakfast has taken a twist with the addition of protein-rich chickpea flour and 100% plant-based ingredients–tastier and healthier than the traditional recipe!
- Whisk all of the ingredients together (except for the bread) until smooth. If you would like, you can blend it all in a high-speed blender as well. Pour the batter into a wide and shallow dish.
- Preheat a large pan or a griddle over medium heat and lightly grease it with coconut oil or spray. We attempted to cook the french toast without oil but had the best results using it.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 20 seconds on each side and then place onto the heated griddle. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Continue until you have cooked all of the french toast.
- Serve with toppings of choice. We like to serve our vegan french toast with maple syrup, a touch of powdered sugar, and fresh strawberries.
- It is important to use bread that is both sturdy and thick–we aim for a thickness of 3/4-1″. We like to use bread that is a few days old so that it has dried out and hardened up a bit. We recommend avoiding sandwich bread. This will ensure that your french toast does not get soggy or break apart!
- If you only have fresh bread, you can dry it out in the oven at 300°F on a wire rack for about 8 minutes each side.
- If you are planning ahead, you can place bread pieces on a wire rack and just let the pieces sit out overnight to dry out.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes