- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese (we recommend Kite Hill or homemade)
- 4 oz. vegan butter (we use Earth Balance)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour + more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a food processor, pulse the walnuts until they are finely ground. Transfer the walnuts to a large bowl along with the cane sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the vegan cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Gradually add the all-purpose flour until it forms a smooth dough. If the dough is too soft, add a little more flour. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Flour a clean work surface. Once the dough has chilled, roll it out into about a 15×12″ rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Using a brush, lightly coat the dough with the almond milk. Liberally sprinkle the moistened dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut dough into strips (about 2 to 2 1/2-inches long x 1-inch wide). It is easiest to first cut the dough into long 1-inch strips lengthwise and then to cut those horizontally into 2 to 2 1/2-inches long strips. Pick up one strip and gently twist the dough into a spiral shape. You can refer to a photo of the final cookie in the blog post to get a better idea of the final appearance. If any sugar falls out, you can roll the cookie dough in it.
- Lay the twists onto lined the baking sheet. These cookies don’t expand much so you can load up the baking sheet without worry!
- Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Watch carefully and rotate the tray halfway through baking.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Cookies, Christmas
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Cookies, Christmas, Vegan, Cinnamon, Twist