- 1 cup chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cacao powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water (more as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, red pepper flakes and cinnamon in a medium bowl and stir until uniform.
- Combine all liquids and slowly add while stirring, until it forms a pliable dough. Knead until smooth and firm*.
- Roll into a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust a clean surface or cutting board with flour, half the dough, flatten a bit in your hands, then roll it out until it is 1/8″ thick. You don’t want them thick or they will be hard.
- Cut into 1-inch squares, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Prick the tops of the squares with a fork*. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until crispy. Cool on the sheet so that they will crisp.
*Add more flour or more water as needed
*This will prevent them from blistering and bubbling up as they bake.
*With these crackers, you have to be careful about making them too thick. If you do, they will come out rock hard! Try to roll them out as thin as you can and try to preserve this thickness as best you can when transferring them. It is a challenge scooping them up after you roll them out and cut them, but you can also always reflatten them when on the baking sheet.
*Store in an airtight container up to a week.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan