- 1 large butternut squash (about 6 cups), diced in 1/2″ cubes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 leek, halved and sliced
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 celery stalks, sliced small
- 2–3 jalapeños, deseeded, ribs removed and sliced*
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Healthy Green Salt Substitute and black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2–3/4 medium lemon, to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sauté the onion, leek and celery in water in a large soup pot until translucent, about 5 mins. Add in the garlic and cook for another new minutes, until it is fragrant.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (except for the lemon juice and cilantro) and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and cover for 30-40 mins or until the squash is fork tender.
- Cool for 10 mins, then place into a high speed blender with the lemon juice (in 3 batches) and run until smooth. Add in the cilantro and pulse until it is mixed through.
- Serve topped with jalapeño, cilantro and avocado.
Add more or less jalapeño as desired.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free