The BEST vegan mashed potatoes made with a secret ingredient that brings them to the next level! These require just 5 simple ingredients total, are so easy to make and will be ready in about 30 minutes. They are perfect for the holidays, family dinners or even date nights at home.
- 5 medium (1.5 lbs) Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced*
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese (we used Kite Hill Chive Cream Cheese)*
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/8 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill with cold water. Set on stove over medium heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in 1 tablespoon of salt then cook the potatoes until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes, so we recommend checking on them every 10 minutes by piercing the largest potato with the tip of a sharp knife. You will know when it’s ready when the knife slides in easily with no resistance.
- Drain the potatoes through a strainer and set aside for now.
- Place the pot back on the stove and set it over medium-low heat. Add in 2-3 tablespoons of water (or 1 tablespoon of oil) and add in the minced garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Once the garlic has cooked, add the potatoes back into the pot along with the vegan cream cheese, almond milk, and dill. Using a potato masher slowly mash the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
- We found a chive cream cheese at our local Whole Foods Market that worked perfectly in this recipe. If you are not able to find this, just simply use regular vegan cream cheese and then add in 1-2 tablespoons of finely chopped chives.
- If you do not want to use vegan cream cheese, you can use vegan butter in its place (about 1/3-1/2 cup). This will make the recipe no longer oil-free.
- The nutrition facts do not take into consideration the addition of salt and pepper to taste.
- We have used russet potatoes in this recipe and although it works, it is no our preferred potato.
- You can also use 1 teaspoon garlic powder in place of the fresh garlic.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Side, Holiday
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Oil-free, Gluten-free
Keywords: Side, Holiday, Vegan, Oil-free, Gluten-free, Mashed Potatoes,