- 15 organic dates, pitted (I used 3 each of Medjool, Khadrawy, Halawy, Deglet Noor, and Zahidi)*
- 4 large ripe organic bananas
- About 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon + more to top
- Optional: Vanilla, coconut sugar, additional spices.
- Slice the bananas vertically in 3 pieces each.*
- Sprinkle the bananas with cinnamon and place them on a dehydrator at 115F for 6-8 hours.
- While the bananas dehydrate, create your caramel. Add all of the dates into a high speed blender with a dash of cinnamon, optional vanilla, and 1/4-1/2 cup of water, or as much as is needed to create a thick paste.
- Once the bananas are able to be handled without breaking, but not completely dry, take slices of and spread the caramel along them. Roll the banana with caramel around itself to form a roll.* Top the rolls with more date caramel if desired. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Place back in the dehydrator for 6 hours until warmed through.
- I have not yet tried this recipe in an oven, but this is what I would do if I needed to use one.
- Preheat your oven to the lowest heat possible.
- Prepare the recipe exactly how it is above, and when placing the bananas into the oven, keep the door cracked open with a wooden spoon for the moisture to be able to escape. Since the heat may be higher, I would do 4-6 hours for the initial dry, then 4-6 for the second. Adjust times as needed.
I cut WITH the curve of the banana, not against it. SInce some of the bananas are in a C-shape, cut along the banana drawing a C shape so that you get a straight instead of curved piece.
You can roll several slices around one another to get a thicker cinnamon roll.
I purchased the Royal Treatment sampler box from 7 Hot Dates.
You can even take whole cinnamon sticks and grind them in a high speed blender to make your own fresh cinnamon powder for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 14 hours