Who’s ready for some soft, chewy, melt in your mouth good, ginger molasses cookies? They’re ready in less than an hour and are going to be your new favorite holiday cookie.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (144g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (146g) unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (222g) gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup (84g) almond flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cane sugar, for coating cookies
- Prepare a flax egg by mixing together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and setting it aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 half baking sheets (or 1 full sheet) with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a medium bowl, add in the gluten-free flour, almond flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg. Mix together until uniform and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the softened vegan butter and brown sugar, and cream together with a hand mixer (or whisk) until it is fluffy.
- Add in the flax egg, molasses and vanilla extract, and beat together until uniform.
- Combine the dry mixture with the wet, and mix until everything is uniform.
- In a small bowl, add in the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- Using a 1 1/2 tablespoon sized cookie scooper, scoop out the dough and roll into balls. Roll each ball in the sugar and then place them on the lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. We fit 12 on one half sheet.
- Using a flat bottomed cup or the palm of your hands, press down the cookies (just until the tops are flat) and then place into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then remove and transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
- Adapted from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free.
- leave the butter out for 15-30 minutes before making this recipe to soften it up a bit and make it easier to whip up with the sugar.
- Unsulphured molasses: Be sure that you use unsulphured molasses in this recipe, NOT blackstrap as it is very bitter.
- Gluten-free flour: We used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour for this recipe and highly recommend that blend if you are going to keep it gluten-free for best results. If you are not gluten-free, based on our experience with other recipes, we think that all purpose flour should work well.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Oven
Keywords: cookies, ginger, molasses, gluten free, vegan, sweets, snack, christmas, holiday