This Filipino Pancit Bihon is a staple at all of my family get togethers. It is a rice noodle dish that is loaded with vegetables and served with a sprinkle of green onions and spritz of fresh citrus juice. It is packed with flavor and filling enough to serve as a main dish.
- 8 ounces bihon noodles (or rice vermicelli noodles)
- Lukewarm water, as needed
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 8 ounces vegan chicken, cut into strips
- 1 cup julienned chayote
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 1 cup julienned zucchini
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 2 large bok choy, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 green onions, finely sliced
- Calamansi juice or lemon juice
- Place the rice noodles in a large bowl and cover them with lukewarm water. When the noodles are soft, after about 10 minutes, drain and set noodles aside.
- In a wok or large saucepan over medium heat, add in the oil along with the onions and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add in the vegan chicken and continue cooking until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes more. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in the remaining vegetables along with a splash of the vegetable broth and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the wok and set them aside. If there is leftover liquid, just leave it in the wok.
- To the wok, add in the remaining broth and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and then add in the noodles. Allow the noodles to simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add in the vegetables, vegan chicken, green onions, and optional sesame oil. Gently toss with tongs until uniform. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve with calamansi or lemon and enjoy!
- Chop all of the vegetables into similarly sized pieces so that they all cook evenly.
- We used purple cabbage for this but keep in mind that it may discolor the noodles. To prevent that, use green cabbage.
- Feel free to change up the vegetables based on what you have at home!
- If you do not have or do not want to use the vegan chicken, you can leave it out or swap it with finely diced tofu.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree, Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: Entree, Side, Filipino, Noodles, Vegetables, Stir Fry, Pancit, Gluten-free