Learn how to make these flavor-packed grilled portobello mushroom burgers with just 8 simple ingredients. These juicy burgers will be the hit of the summer!
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth* (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2–1 teaspoon black pepper (depending on how pepper-y you would like it)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Vegan garlic aioli
- 4 hamburger buns of choice, toasted
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onions
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Plus any other toppings of choice
- Throughly clean the mushroom caps with a few sheets of wet paper towels or kitchen towels. Once they have been cleaned, remove the stems from the mushrooms and then score the top of the cap with cross-hatched pattern–we cut 4 slits lengthwise and then 4 more horizontally. Set aside.
- In a large resealable bag (we used this reusable one), add in the balsamic vinegar, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. Seal and shake to mix everything together.
- Reopen the bag and add in the mushroom caps. Reseal the bag and gently shake again for about 30 seconds or so to ensure that the mushrooms are well coated. Allow the mushrooms to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour, being sure to give it a good shake about halfway through. The longer you marinate them, the better!
- While the mushrooms marinate, prepare all of to your toppings for your burgers.
- Heat your grill (or grill pan) to medium heat and lightly grease the grates. Using tongs, remove the mushrooms from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and add them cap side down to the grill pan. Cover the grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until marks appear on the bottom and they cook through. While they grill, use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the mushrooms with the leftover marinade about 4-5 times during the cooking process. This will ensure they don’t dry out and that they are as flavorful as possible.
- If you are using vegan cheese for your burgers, flip the mushrooms cap side up and place some vegan cheese slices on top. Cover the grill for about 1 minute so that the cheese melts.
- Remove the mushrooms from the grill and serve them on buns with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
- Oil can be used in place of the vegetable broth if desired.
- The nutrition facts only take into consideration the mushroom patties.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Entree, Luncjh
- Method: Grill