This easy and flavor-packed Mushroom Walnut Vegan Taco Meat will cook up in about 15 minutes of your time and requires simple ingredients that you might already have on hand! Plus, it is both vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 cup unsalted walnuts, soaked in lukewarm water for 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup water, divided
- 10 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, washed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional but recommended)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh lime juice, as desired
For the tacos:
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado tahini dressing (using cilantro instead of dill and chives)
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced red onions
- Diced avocado
- Soak walnuts in lukewarm water for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic along with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add 2-3 more tablespoons of water as needed to prevent burning. You can also use oil instead if you would like.
- Add the walnuts and mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they have broken down into a “meat crumble”-like texture. Add them to the pan along with the cumin, chili powder, tomato paste, soy sauce, oregano, liquid smoke, and 1/4 cup of water. Mix everything together until well combined. Cook the mixture for 8 minutes, or until it beings to brown and the mushrooms soften. If you would like it more moist, add a few additional tablespoons of water as desired.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper as desired. Mix through the cilantro plus lime juice to taste.
- Assemble your tacos as desired and enjoy!
- To speed things up, you can also chop up the onions and garlic in the food processor! Add them to the pan, and then chop up the mushrooms and walnuts.
- We warmed our tortillas over the open flame on our stove to soften them up.
- Although we recommend walnuts for this recipe, if you would like a substitute, we would suggest trying pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, or just leaving the nuts/seeds out all together and using additional mushrooms. We haven’t tested these and we cannot guarantee results, but they are what we would try if we wanted to make this nut-free.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree, Party
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican, Gluten-free
Keywords: Vegan, Mexican, Gluten-free, Entree, Party, Tacos, Mushroom, Walnut, Taco Meat