This vegan pasta e fagioli is one for the books! Not only is it easy to make, but it also requires just 10 simple ingredients, is ready in under an hour and is just so dang good. Who wants some?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 56 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 medium (1 cup) onion, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 medium carrots (2 cups), finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 28 oz. diced or crushed San Marzano tomatoes (with the liquid)
- 8 oz. Cavatelli Pasta (or pasta of choice; for stovetop use 16 oz.)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans great northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Handful fresh basil, julienned (about 2 heaping tablespoons)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4-Ingredient vegan parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Toasted Italian bread or bread of choice
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to your instant pot in the sauté setting, and add in the onion, celery, carrots, salt, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add in the tomatoes, pasta, vegetable broth, white beans and oregano. Close the instant pop and cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Once it has finished, allow it to naturally release (sit untouched) for 5 minutes. Release the remaining pressure.
- Add in the julienned basil and season with salt and/or pepper. Enjoy!
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain, rinse, and set aside. If you would like, you can also toss it in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- While the pasta cooks, grab another large pot and set it over medium heat along with 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Once the broth has heated, add in the onion, celery, carrots, salt, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add an additional 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable broth as needed to prevent burning.
- Add in the tomatoes and use the back of your cooking utensil or a potato masher to break them up. They don’t have to be completely broken down but enough so that they break apart later when boiling. Add in the beans, oregano, and basil along with the remaining vegetable broth, and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and allow it to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add in the pasta. Stir until well combined. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve warm with toasted Italian bread or bread of choice.
- This pasta is best when it sits overnight in the refrigerator as it thickens up quite nicely!
- The leftovers will last 1 week in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- You can freeze this recipe for future meals. To thaw, just leave it out on the counter or in the refrigerator for best results 🙂
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Instant Pot, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
Keywords: Entree, Soup, Instant Pot, Stovetop, Vegan, Italian, Fagioli