A healthy, guilt-free and protein-packed version of a childhood favorite. These vegan chickpea chocolate chip cookies are easy to make, require simple ingredients, are free of oil and gluten, and will definitely have you coming back for more!
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon of chia seeds + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can unsalted chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 8–10 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut* (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks*
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Mix the chia seeds with the water and allow it to sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Place the Medjool dates in a medium bowl with hot water and soak for 10 minutes to soften, then drain.
- Blend all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor, until smooth. Mix in the chocolate chips (in the food processor bowl or in another bowl if easier).
- Scoop 1 to 2 tablespoons of the dough (depending on how large you want your cookies) into your hand and form it into a 1/3″- inch thick cookie. Place the cookie onto the baking sheet and continue until you have measured out all of the dough.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool then dig in!
- Since most chocolate chips have refined sugar, you can opt for cacao nibs, chocolate chunks of your favorite sugar-free chocolate bar 🙂
- The addition of 1-2 tablespoons of liquid may be needed to blend the dough, depending on your food processor.
- If you would like to skip the coconut, just use 1/4 cup additional oats.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free