- 1.5 tbsp golden flax meal + 3 tbsp water
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup Vega One Vanilla Chai Protein Powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp stevia **see note**
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- Pinch of cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped hazelnuts and/or toasted coconut chips (I used Dang)
- Mix together the flax meal with water to form “flax-egg”. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a cupcake or muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Process/blend applesauce, banana, flax egg, stevia, vanilla, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, protein powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix together. Do not to over-mix!
- Fill your pan ⅔ full of mixture and top with nuts or coconut if desired.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes.
- Top with protein jam and enjoy!
I have only tried this recipe using stevia. Adding a sweetener, liquid or dry, with more volume or a different texture may result in a different texture in the resulting muffins.
- Category: Snack, Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan