Healthy, hearty and easy to make — these lentil and vegetable stuffed mushrooms are a MUST make appetizer for your next holiday party!
Growing up, stuffed mushrooms were always a must at our family parties. Not only were we able to make a vegan version of my mom’s recipe, but also one that is even more delicious than the original. We used lentils in in place of the meat, flaxseed meal as our binder to replace eggs, and our homemade vegan cashew parmesan to top it off with! Make sure you tag us on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan and @consciouschris and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate these stuffed mushrooms, we would love to see your photos!Print
Lentil & Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms / Healthy + Oil-free Holiday Appetizer
Healthy, hearty and easy to make — these lentil and vegetable stuffed mushrooms are a must make appetizer for your next holiday party!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 mushrooms
- Category: Holiday, Appetizer
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water (or 2 flax eggs)
- ~1/2 cup water, to sauté
- 16 oz. or about 24 baby bella mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 1 celery stalk, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Vegan parmesan (our recipe here)
- Plain breadcrumbs
- Mix together the flaxseed meal with the water in a small bowl and set it aside to thicken for about 15 minutes.
- Clean the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. Carefully break off the stems and and set those aside in a bowl. Using the tip of a spoon, hollow out the center of the mushrooms so it is a clean and smooth surface, making room for the filling. Reserve what you scoop out.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add in about 3-4 tablespoons of water and heat through. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the vegetables are fragrant. Add the mushroom stems and the reserved mushroom pieces, and cook for a couple of minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Add more water as needed to prevent burning.
- Add the Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast, and lentils, and cook just until the lentils have warmed through. Remove from heat, mix in the flax egg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place the mushrooms caps stem side up on the baking sheet and scoop about 1-2 tablespoons of mixture into each mushroom cap to form a mound. Depending on the size of mushroom you may need a little more or less to fill it.
- Sprinkle each mushroom cap with breadcrumbs and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until browned. If needed, turn oven to broil and continue to bake until the tops are lightly toasted.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and sprinkle each with chopped parsley and vegan parmesan.
Nutrition facts label provided by Nutri Fox.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. However, this page may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!