At last, it was time to head to Portland! This was both of our first times visiting, so the anticipation has been building for quite sometime. We arrived late in the day, and after a long drive, we were feeling a bit lazy to go out. We ordered food from The Bye & Bye to our room and chilled out a bit before heading out. I order the Weeping Tiger Sandwich (Tofu cutlets, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, jalapeño, Sriracha and miso mayo on Grand Central bread)
and Jasmine got the Southwest Bowl w/ Avocado (of course) (Nutritional yeast tofu, brown rice, red beans, collard greens with chipotle ranch sauce). We also shared a side of pretzel knots w/ house made cashew cheese and stone ground mustard. Everything was super tasty, and we were very impressed with everything we had (especially the sandwich).Funny enough, later in the evening we ended up going to the actual restaurant with a friend for some drinks. The atmosphere there was super chill and the outside patio was dog friendly, so Berry was pleased! We both recommend going if you’re in town!
Afterward, we walked down to Back to Eden Bakery where Jasmine and I shared a vegan sundae called “The Mt. Hood” (Soft Serve, Ginger Cookies, White Chocolate Chips & House-made Caramel Sauce) it was a stellar choice if I do say so myself!
The next day was an extra special one. Why you ask? It was my birthday! My goal for the day was to eat as much food as possible! That morning, we started our day at A.N.D Cafe where I got the Feast Waffle, which was a savory waffle stuffed w/ sausage, hashbrowns, vegan mozzarella and topped w/ country gravy and herb tofu. Talk about deeelish! Jasmine took the more traditional route and got the blue corn waffle topped with fresh fruit. Both choices were good ones, and we definitely recommend grabbing a bite there for breakfast or lunch if you are in PDX!
After our breakfast, we took a hike with Berry to the Witches Castle, which was a steep and kind of muddy trail, but with beautiful scenery and real history. It was much needed after that heavy breakfast (at least for me). After our hike, it was time to start eating again!
For lunch, we made a trip to the infamous Homegrown Smoker. I ordered the SloMoMofo Sandwich and a side of Hush Puppies.
I enjoyed the sandwich, but wish I opted for some type of mac and cheese wrap. Shortly after our visit, we were informed of the sad news about their food truck catching fire and burning down 😔 The silver lining is that they are in full gear to open a brick and motor restaurant this summer, so we are excited to visit when it opens!
Jasmine went to Baked Roots Bar for lunch, which is a french fry bar that just opened in Portland. It features different baked fry dishes inspired from different countries. She got the “Bill of Rights” which is the American inspired dish with buffalo cauliflower and drizzled with a creamy ranch. The best part is, the restaurant is health focused and features a 100% oil-free vegan menu. I tried a bite of Jasmines and really enjoyed it! We both recommend checking this place out if you’re ever in the area. It’s a brand new restaurant that deserves some serious shine 😃
Finally, it was time for dinner! I think this was the food highlight of our short visit! We were fortunate enough to get to try the elusive Virtuous Pie a few days before it opened. They opened their first location in Vancouver, BC last year and just opened their second location in Portland.
They made us 4 different pizzas to sample – SUPERFUNGHI (Cashew Mozzarella, Herbed Potatoes, Wild Mushrooms, Truffle Almond Ricotta, Rocket) CURRY MILE (Butter Chickpea Curry, Mint Raita, Roasted Cashews, Pea Shoots) MEATBALL + CHEVRE (San Marzano Tomato Sauce, Baerlic Brewing Chorizo Meatballs, Creamed Spinach, Lemon Herb Chevre, Basil, Fresh Parm) THE CATALAN (Smoky Romesco, Patatas Bravas, Tarragon Requéson, Charred Scallion, Asparagus, Saffron Aioli) It’s hard to choose a favorite, since everything was so fantastic in its own right, but if I had to choose, I think the Meatball and Chèvre was the winner for that night. We also got to try some of their homemade turmeric black pepper and coffee + donut ice cream— both super unique and delicious. The turmeric black pepper definitely surprised me with it’s subtle, yet satisfying taste, and you already know the coffee and donut flavor was bomb!
Afterward, we stopped by Sweet Pea Bakery, an all vegan bakery that offers an array of baked goods and sandwiches which are to die for.
- The Bye & Bye – Awesome and super casual atmosphere with a chill vibe and friendly staff. Offering a variety of different sandwiches, bowls, and small plates, we definitely recommend this place for a casual dinner with friends.
- Virtuous Pie – Innovative and fun pizza place with unique and flavorful menu items. They also have coffee, kombucha, beer, and ice cream. A must try if your in Portland!
- Harlow – Not mentioned above, but some seriously good food. They serve an array of bowls, sandwiches, and entrees and the decore is very welcoming and “instagrammable”. Good date spot and great brunch spot!
- Homegrown Smoker – Although the food truck is no longer, they recently opened a sit-down restaurant. If it’s anything like the truck, which I assume it is x10, this is a must go to. Expect heavy food and a lot of mac and cheese. If that sounds like heaven, this is the place for you!
- V-Topia Vegan Cheese Shop – Again, not mentioned in the post above, but I had an opportunity to indulge in this handcrafted cheesey goodness on my work trip a few weeks after Jasmine and I visited. This is a great grab and go or lunch spot with indoor and outdoor seating. They have vegan cheeses available by the pound, as well as sandwiches and soups. Their artisan cheese selection is extensive and includes animal free brie, cheddar, cheve, and so much more. Their selections change daily, but none dissapoint!
- Sweet Pea Bakery – Some seriously tasty sandwiches! I had two things from Sweet Pea, but the Sweet Pea Club had to be my favorite. Neither Jasmine or I had any of their baked goods, but we’ve heard nothing but good things. This is this perfect place to grab a quick bite with some friends or to take to go.