St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, so what better excuse to share with you all THE BEST creamy vegan Basil Alfredo Sauce that is both oil- & gluten-free. Dare I say best? After one bite you will know exactly why. And be warned, you won’t be able to stop until it’s all gone 😘
This recipe was made in collaboration with a few amazing vegan youtubers, and I definitely recommend you check out these recipes along with this one for more fun ideas to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with healthy vegan recipes. Caitlin Shoemaker aka From My Bowl put together this secret ingredient Healthy Shamrock Shake. I was intrigued by the ingredients she used and definitely want to try this out for myself! Emilie of Emilie Eats shared with us these AMAZING Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Brownie recipe with a minty frosting. Lisa Reimi Shared these Brownie Whip Parfaits, just look at that color! Faith from The Conscientious Eater made Vegan Irish Soda Farls, “AKA the quickest, most delicious triangle English Muffins” as she said.
A little behind the scenes shot of the shoot for this recipe 😛 This was the first video Chris and I worked on together and we were able to utilize different camera angles with our equipment. I twas definitely a learning process in the editing, but I learned SO MUCH and I am ready to put together more to share with you all here on my blog and youtube channel.
If you want to check out the equipment we use, I have a full blog post summarizing it + offering my tips for starting a blog 🙂
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts
- 16 oz pasta of choice (I used Explore Cuisine Green Lentil Penne)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and halved
- 1 small head of garlic, 6-8 cloves
- 4 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾-1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Soak your cashew nuts overnight or in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to the packaging directions.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Cut the top of the garlic head off, then remove as much outer skin as you can (no need be too meticulous here).
- Place the onions cut side down and the wrap garlic on the baking sheet, and broil on high until the onions are browned, about 15 minutes. The garlic clove should feel soft when pressed.
- Once they are done, remove from the oven and cool a bit until easy to handle, then press out/peel out the garlic cloves.
- Steam your potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender. Once steamed, mash and measure out 1 cup, reserving any leftovers for later use.
- Once the potatoes are steamed, the cashews are soaked, and the onions and garlic are roasted, add all of these to a blender along with the remaining ingredients besides the basil and pasta. Blend until smooth.
- Mix in the basil, adjust seasonings to taste, then pour over the pasta.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes if desired.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!