One of my mother’s best recipes EVER for you all to try out 🙂 Not only are these jam packed with flavor, they are effortless, and can even be made while you sleep.
The way my mom measures rice is, well, not the usual method. From my YouTube video I have realized it is of my mom’s Chinese origin, and I will try to explain it as best I can.
I googled a description of her method and realized it was actually an established way of cooking grains/beans: the first knuckle method. Basically, you pour the beans (or rice) into the pressure cookies pot, level them out, then place your index finger in so that the tip is just barely touching the surface. Add enough water that it comes up to the first knuckle line and voila, that’s it! This method seems to work every single time for us, I promise we ain’t crazy! 😂
- 1 lb beans of choice
- Vegetable broth (we used bouillon)
- 1 white onion, peeled
- Pressure cooker, slow cooker or pot
- Soak the beans in 3x the amount of water for a day (8 hours minimum) in the refrigerator.
- Drain and place into your pressure cooker*. Cover the beans with vegetable broth using "the first knuckle method: place your index finger into the beans so that the tip is just barely touching the surface. Add enough broth so that it comes up to the first knuckle line.
- If using a pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 55 minutes. (See notes)
- Cool and dig in!
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!