Apparently National S’mores Day is Wednesday, August 10? I honestly cannot keep up with all of these holidays, who the heck picks them anyways?
Well, I am going to have to thank that person in part for this recipe, cause if it wasn’t for a random email hitting my inbox telling me of this holiday, this recipe would not have been born! I had so so many vegan marshmallows in my pantry and this was the perfect excuse to use them all up. I decided to take a different approach in recreating the classic Rice Krispie Treats. Popcorn + cereal + granola, along with a bomb diggity sweet potato & black bean fudge inspired by my Healthy Chocolate Dessert Hummus (Low-Fat, Avocado-Free) and Deliciously Ella’s Sweet Potato Brownies.
A little behind the scenes look! Thanks Chris for making these photos what they are!
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato puree
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 12 medjool dates, pitted (about 1¼ cups, packed)
- 4 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground chia
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 5 cups plain popcorn
- 4 cups cereal of choice
- 1½ (10-oz.) bags vegan marshmallows
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- A cup of water and spoon (for assembly)
- Process all ingredients of the Sweet Potato Black Bean Fudge together in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add 2 tbsp almond milk to a pot over medium until bubbling, then add in the marshmallows and stir until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the popcorn, cereal and cinnamon until well coated. Pour half of the mixture into your prepared baking dish by pressing it firmly into an even layer using the back of a spoon dipped in the cup of water. Spread about ¼=1/3" of the fudge on top of one layer, then spread remaining popcorn mixture evenly over top, pressing in gently. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and slice it into square bars. Dig in!