Take advantage of the beautiful weather and celebrate the summer season with with your friends and family with a party!
Healthy menu planning for celebrations like these can be stressful and sometimes force you to turn to those not-so-healthy quick and easy prepared foods at the grocery stores/restaurants. To prevent that, I have compiled for you a list of ideas and information that I hope will inspire you to make healthier choices for your next gathering.
I am asked what the heck I could possibly grill as a vegan, and the answer to that is not simple, as there are so many options 😉
>>Fruits and Vegetables
- Ideal grilling fruits are those that are still firm and not fully ripe.
- Cook over direct heat then move to a cooler part of the grill to ensure that the outside isn’t cooking too quickly.
- Cut into rounds or wide pieces as opposed to small pieces for even cooking.
- Non-Stick Silicon Grilling Mat: Fruits and vegetables tend to stick to the metal of the grill, unless you often rotate/move them. These mats may be a solution if you want to give them a try! You won’t have grill marks, if that is of any concern to you, but the food will taste great regardless 🙂
- Ideas of fruit grill: Watermelon, peaches, apples, pineapple, apples, nectarines, pears. tomatoes, figs, bananas, plantains, pineapple, cantaloupe, cucumber, honeydew, avocado, etc.
- Top with herbs, spices or even ice cream!
- Cook the vegetables over high heat and then move to a cooler part of the grill, away from direct heat, to finish. You can even grill cooked vegetables, only having them on the grill for a few minutes for color and grill marks.
- Try and avoid too high of a heat for too long on the vegetables, as this will cause uneven cooking, with charring on the outside and raw on the inside.
- Some denser vegetables, like potatoes, take longer to grill than others.
- Cut into rounds as opposed to small pieces to allow for even cooking.
- Ideas of vegetables to grill: zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, potatoes, asparagus, onion, corn, jicama, artichoke, mushrooms, eggplant etc.
- Add any seasonings of choice before grilling, and top with a spritz of lemon or lime juice!
- Vegetable Skewers: Place vegetable skewers on your grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes per side, or until the cooked through. use any combination of vegetables you want, or try out the combinations in the photos above (which includes my Rainbow Vegetable Skewers).
- Grilled Vegetable Salad (ideas above!)
- Grilled Pizzas! I know, what?! I saw this idea on the Food Network, and it is definitely on my to do list!
- Grilled sandwiches
- Grilled tacos
- Grilled vegetables + quinoa
- Grilled burgers
- Grilled vegetable pita pockets
- Grilled portobello burgers
And along with the grilled meals, you should check out this other recipes below to include in your gathering ;)!
Having a patriotic celebration? Make an american flag fruit platter!
You can modify the recipe and instead of roasted the eggplant, you can grill it!
Portobello Bun Veggie Burger
Just as above, you can modify this recipe and use grilled veggies instead of roasted.
Mango Margaritas (Raw)
Raw Vegan Fruit Beer Floats (raw, gf)
Apple Rose Caramel Tart (raw)
German Chocolate Cake (raw, gf, sf)
Tableware: Repurpose Compostables
Consider serving the delicious plant-based foods you will create on sustainable tableware. These products are made from plants, require fewer fossil fuels to create, and will not degrade while not in use. I have found this brand at local health food stores, and on Amazon as well 🙂
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. However, this page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!