Were any of you hooked on Pizookies like I was prior to going vegan? I swear my friends and I would go to BJ’s and eat 1-2 pizookies, weekly! If you have no idea what a pizookie is, it is a Pizza + Cookie, where a cookie is baked on a skillet/cake pan, then served warm with ice cream. It used to be like the best thing ever until I actually became aware of how bad it was for me.
A few weeks ago, my cousin went to BJ’s and posted a photo of her pizookie. It brought back memories of the times I used to spend with friends out at the restaurant, and also of my love for these pizza cookies. And I guess that love was pretty strong, cause it got me to create a whole new recipe!
I present to you all my Vegan Pizookie.
…And this just ain’t any old chocolate chip cookie and vanilla ice cream. This is a Double Chocolate Chip Jackfruit Bacon Cookie topped with, of course, Vanilla Banana Ice Cream and a raw chocolate sauce, AND is gluten-free, low in fat and packed with plant protein, thanks to Sunwarrior Classic Plus. Did I win you over yet? <3
This is the jackfruit bacon I had used in my Maple Cinnamon Delicata Squash Salad w/ Vegan Jackfruit Bacon recipe. I didn’t have to make a new batch, as this was actually frozen from the leftovers of the salad and thawed out. It tasted and had the same consistency as it did when I first made it, so if you have any leftovers in making it for this recipe, I can assure you that you can freeze it for the future.
This recipe is also the first I have made with the new Sunwarrior Classic Plus raw vegan protein powders. It’s USDA certified organic, raw, with a complete amino acid profile and honestly tastes better than any of their other powders that I have tried, and I was already certain that their old chocolate was the best I’ve had. I know that a lot of protein powders, well, raw vegan ones that is, can get chalky or grainy, but this one surprised me as it wasn’t. I also tried it mixed in a blender bottle with nothing but water and it dissolved well and tasted great all on its own. My favorite out of the Classic Plus powders is the chocolate, as it tastes like a brownie mmmm 🙂
(They also have an unflavored protein but c’mon, if I can add more chocolate into a cookie, why wouldn’t I?!)
And guess what…Sunwarrior is having a Classic Plus Giveaway!
What you will win is a Sunwarrior Starter Pack, which is a blender bottle that is over-stuffed with their best products. 1 in every 20 entries will win, so make sure you enter before it ends on May 31st of 2015! You can enter here!
Sooo funny story about this pan…This is actually a real pizookie pan, straight from BJ’s. I don’t know when it was, I’d say about 4-5 years ago, my family and I went to BJ’s and didn’t finish our pizookie (I know, shocking right), so we asked the waitress to pack it up for us. She tried to remove the pizookie from the pan and into a to-go container, but it was so messy and melty that she just threw the whole thing in, pan and all, and we ended up with a pan. I thought about bringing it back, but I also though about how awkward that would be, especially since they would probably assume I stole it haha. So yeah, I guess me using a real pizookie pan for this makes this recipe real legit 😉To complete this dish, add a drizzle of raw vegan chocolate sauce. Who am I kidding, add a couple of spoonfuls 😉 You can either make your own, or purchase some online. To make it yourself, simply mix together 1 tbsp cacao powder, 2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice, and a pinch of vanilla powder or extract. If you’re lazy (like I was), you can try out Emmy’s Organics Raw Chocolate Sauce.
- Round pan (mine was 6½" x 1")
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup medjool dates
- ¼ cup plant-based milk (I used macadamia nut milk)
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbs gluten-free rolled oats, ground into flour
- ¼ cup Sunwarrior Classic Plus Raw Protein Powder in Chocolate
- 2 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp (12g) coconut oil, melted (for oil-free, see notes)
- 1 tbsp jackfruit bacon, chopped small (see notes)
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder or extract
- ¼ tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 3 frozen bananas, broken into medium pieces
- 1 tbs Sunwarrior Classic Plus Raw Protein Powder in Vanilla
- 1 tbs cacao powder
- 2 tbs liquid sweetener of choice
- A dash of vanilla powder or extract
- OR Emmy's Organics Raw Chocolate Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line your round pan with a parchment paper. (see how here)
- Add dates and milk to a food processor and run until it is as smooth as you can get it. Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate and bacon, and run until a dough forms.
- Pour into a bowl and fold in the bacon and chocolate.
- Press into round pan until it is about ¾" thick all around.
- Bake for 20-25 mins, depending on how soft you want your cookie. If you are making small cookies (about 1¼" in diameter), roll into balls and flatten, then bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 mins.
- Place the bananas into a food processor (broken into pieces) and run until it is the texture of rice.
- Open, and add in the protein powder.
- Run until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scoop with an ice cream scooper into mounds onto a plate and place into the freezer until serving.
- Whisk together the cacao, sweetener of choice and vanilla until smooth.
- Pop the cookie out of the cake pan onto a plate and top with the ice cream mounds from the freezer. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and dig in!
The bacon was spicy, and added a kick to the cookie. If you don't like savory and sweet, simply leave out the bacon.
In place of the coconut oil, try using applesauce. I have not yet done it in this recipe, but I have in others with much success.
And here’s a picture of Goji that I posted on Instagram, interrupting yet another recipe shoot. She even drank the macadamia nut milk 🙁 Her cuteness makes up for it though haha!
Disclaimer: Sunwarrior was awesome and sent me some Classic Plus to sample. Of course, all of the opinions shared are my own, and I wouldn’t share something with ya’ll unless I truly loved it.