Three quick recipes from my Raw Vegan Cinco de Mayo festivities this year that I thought I would share with you all since they were all the bommmb. I was able to eat fully raw and be FULLY satisfied today, and I know you can too if you try these recipes!
For starters, a smoothie! I woke up in excitement for Cinco de Mayo, with ingredients that I was going to use for my smoothie already in mind. Last year, I created Raw Mango Margaritas, and I wanted to make a spin off of that. This year, I combined pineapple, mango, banana, coconut water and aloe vera (optional), and served it into a coconut sugar rimmed mason jar.
Rimming the mason jar wasn’t as hard as I was expecting. I actually did not even look up how to do it, so correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I did. Place the glass, face down, onto a plate or bowl of water to wet rim. Pour coconut sugar onto another plate or bowl, and move the glass onto it, turning it so that the rim gets covered in coconut sugar.
- 1.5 cups pineapple
- Water of 1 young Thai coconut
- 1 banana
- 1 ataulfo mango
- 1 tbs aloe Vera gel (optional)
- Coconut sugar
- Place the glass, face down, onto a plate or bowl of water to wet rim.
- Pour coconut sugar onto another plate or bowl, and move the glass onto it, turning it so that the rim gets covered in coconut sugar.
- Blend all of the other ingredients together then pour it into the glass.
Next up was an epic taco meal with my friend Tim, aka Vegan Fat Kid. Tim got his hands on some coconut wraps/tortillas that I just had to try, so we made sure we got together on the perfect day and make some. You can easily make these 🙂 Just blend up young thai coconut meet and dehydrate thick rounds in a dehydrator at 115 overnight, or until dry. We used this brand, but you can also try this one as well. What we came up with was a flavor packed, sweet fruity taco! Instead of a savory jackfruit taco, we went for a sweet jackfruit berry taco in a coconut tortilla, topped with a mango banana chia sauce and fresh mint! <3
- 2 ataulfo mangoes, roughly chopped
- 1 banana, chopped
- ½ tbs chia seeds
- 4 coconut tortillas (we cut ours into circles)
- 1 cup Jackfruit, sliced into thin strips
- Blackberries, halved
- Raspberries, halved
- Strawberries, cut into small pieces
- Fresh mint
- Coconut flakes
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until it's as smoth as you can get it. Set it aside while you assemble your tacos to thicken.
- If your wraps are not round, cut into circles: lay flat onto a cutting board, and put a bowl on top. Trace the bowl with a knife to cut out a circle. Save the scraps for a snack 🙂
- Add as much filling as you want, then pour over some of the sauce (about a tablespoon).
- Top with fresh mint and coconut flakes.
And for dinner, I put together some Mango Lettuce Taco Boats (raw, low-fat). I posted this on my Instagram last Tuesday, and it was only fitting that I made it again today, as it was Cinco de Mayo AND taco Tuesday! This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients and is a great raw vegan dinner option.
- 4 ripe ataulfo mangoes, diced
- 2-3 heads baby romaine lettuce
- 2 cups baby tomatoes, halved if needed
- ⅓ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Wash and dry all of your produce.
- Separate the lettuce leaves and fill with mango, tomato, cilantro, and a drizzle of lime.
I hope you all had a safe and healthy Cinco de Mayo celebration this year! xo