Okay so it’s not exactly hot chocolate weather here in Los Angeles (it is currently 80F and sunny), but I know a lot of my readers are from colder areas, props to you all I don’t know if I could survive!
When I was living with my grandmother growing up, on New Year’s Eve, she made my family her famous cinnamon hot chocolate. She would melt a big chunk of Mexican Chocolate with whole milk, cinnamon sticks and piloncillo. Man, was it tasty. But also, sooo not good for us.
On New Year’s Eve, my mom and I thought it would be fun to create a new, healthy and vegan hot chocolate recipe for the years to come. What I came up with was this superfood hot chocolate, a recipe that is definitely here to stay.
Almonds: alkalizing, reduce heart attack risk, lower ‘bad’ cholesterol, protects artery walls from damage, help build strong bones and teeth and provide healthy fats and aid in weight loss:
Cacao: The antioxidant content of raw cacao in its flavonoids, benefits the cardiovascular and general whole body health.
Maca: enhances energy, stamina, athletic performance, memory, and fertility.
Reishi mushroom: promotes vitality and provides adaptogenic properties that help combat stress. It is also highly valued for supporting respiratory function and stimulating the immune system.
Coconut sugar: has a lower glycemic level than regular table sugar, and though it is no a superfood, it offers more vitamins and minerals than white table sugar, including vitamin C, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron and copper.
Cinnamon: may reduce inflammation, have antioxidant effects, and fight bacteria.
For a final touch, I had to toss in some vegan marshmallows! I used Dandies Vegan Marshmallows and my family definitely enjoyed all this drink had to offer, as much as they would any other non-vegan option.Print
Easy Vegan Superfood Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- Category: Beverage
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 3 cups liquid (I used 1/2 water and 1/2 raw almond milk)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder (or carob)
- 1/2 tbsp Ka’Chava Tribal Superfoods Blend in Chocolate (or your favorite protein powder or more cacao)
- 1-1.5 tbsp organic coconut palm sugar (to taste) or 1 medjool date
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mushroom Matrix Reishi
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- 1/2 tsp maca powder
- Optional: Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
- Place the liquid, cacao, coconut sugar, ka’chava, reishi and maca into a high speed blender, and process until combined.
- Pour into a pot over medium heat, and add in the cinnamon stick. Allow it to heat, stirring often, until warm but not boiling.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Serve immediately.
- Place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and run until warm. If using a vitamix, set it to “hot soup” until the end of the cycle.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!