This dish will fool any meat eaters you have at your holiday dinner this year! The combination of the quinoa, oats, mushrooms and nuts provide this dish with the perfect “meat” loaf texture. Finish it off with your choice of our Cranberry Glaze recipe from this year’s series or a traditional meatloaf glaze.
I have teamed up with vegan chef Yvonne Ardestani to bring to all of my readers 13 new recipe for a Vegan and Gluten-free Sweet Eceletic Thanksgiving Celebration! I’m crossing my fingers that a recipe of ours makes it to your list!
A big thank you goes Yvonne <3 If you want to learn more about Yvonne and where to find her, you can read my interview with her here.
Make sure you tag us on Instagram @sweetsimplevegan @yvonne_deliciously_vegan or tweet @sweetsimpleveg @yvonnemrod and hashtag #SweetEclecticThanksgiving if you recreate any of our recipes! We would love to see your photos and thanksgiving feasts!Print
Vegan Holiday “Meat” Loaf (GF)
- Cook Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- 6 Tbsp filtered water
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms (or substitute porcini mushrooms), roughly chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (can substitute tamari)
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sage, finely chopped
- ½ tsp thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
Glaze: Cranberry or Traditional
Traditional Meatloaf Glaze:
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Place the quinoa and 1 cup of water in a small saucepot and cover. Cook the quinoa over medium heat. Once it has reached a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer. The quinoa should be cooked in about 15 minutes, when all the water is absorbed. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. First, cut two pieces of parchment paper– one piece for the length of the loaf pan, from rim-to-rim, and one piece for the width of the loaf pan, rim-to-rim. Spray the loaf pan then place one parchment piece down. Spray the parchment again and lay the other piece of parchment over crosswise, like an x. Spray the parchment again. See here for a demo:
- Prepare the flax egg. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal with 6 Tbsp of water, mix and set aside to thicken.
- Prepare the faux “meat”. Measure out ¾ cup cooked quinoa (store leftover quinoa in the refrigerator to eat later). Place the quinoa in a food processor with the mushrooms and walnuts, and process until it comes together and resembles the same texture as ground meat.
- Place the faux “meat” in a large mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, including the flax egg. With clean hands, toss all the ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour the “meat”loaf mixture into the loaf pan and pat down well, spreading evenly. Flatten the top.
- Place the loaf pan in the center of the oven for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Make the glaze. Either a Cranberry Glaze or the Traditional Meatloaf Glaze by combining ketchup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and stirring together with a spoon.
- minutes prior to removing the loaf from the oven, brush the top of the meatloaf with the glaze, spreading it evenly to coat. If you use the Cranberry Glaze, use only a little over ¼ cup of it to spread. Reserve the rest of the Cranberry Glaze to serve on the side.
- Allow the loaf to cool for about 10 minutes prior to cutting.
- Serve with a side of steamed broccoli or green beans and/or mashed potatoes.
This can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight. To reheat, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and heat for about 25 minutes.