I have been slacking on my greens lately, not going to lie! School has started, and adding this on top of my internship has caused me to have long days, away from the beloved kitchen. It has been lots of bananas, dates and dried figs for me, as these are most convenient for both calories and transportation. I finally had some time yesterday after work to whip up a salad, and this is what I came up with.
The star of this salad is the Tomato Jalapeño vinaigrette I used! It is raw, vegan, oil-free and salt-free! I sweetened it with a medjool date, used water instead of oil, and made sure I used a Raw & Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar.
I have found some at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and farmer’s markets as well, though they are a bit pricey when sold. If you can’t get your hands on oil- and salt-free sun dried tomatoes, make your own! All you have to do is dehydrate thinly sliced tomatoes either in your dehydrator or oven (at the lowest temperature). They keep for a long time, are relatively inexpensive, and are a great addition to salad dressings.
I was inspired by a black bean jalapeño salad I tried at a friends house, but decided to make my version lower in fat and completely raw. Feel free to throw in your favorite ingredients, such as black beans or even jicama! Experiment, and have fun with it!
Of course my cat Goji had to get into the shot. Photographing with her feels to me like it would if I had a baby in my home. This girl gets into any and everything we leave out in the house, and I always catch her eating my food! She especially loved my greens, which is awesome, but I want to eat some too 🙁 Just make sure to look up what not to give your pets. Grapes are a good example of something you wouldn’t suspect to be harmful.
Make sure you tag my Instagram and hashtag #sweetsimplevegan if you recreate any of my recipes! I love to see your photos and share them!
- ½ cup tomato, roughly chopped
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar, raw unfiltered
- ¼ cup lime or lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp jalapeño, deseeded
- 2 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomato, oil free salt free
- 2 tbsp white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- ½ tsp dehydrated celery or ½ rib of celery
- 2 cups mixed greens or romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- ½ cup sweet mini peppers, sliced
- ⅓ cup organic non-GMO corn
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- Simply add all of the ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Prepare and toss all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl and drizzle liberally with dressing.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links- thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan! Contact me if you have any questions.