A healthy soup recipe perfect for this beautiful fall season! Sweet, savory, creamy and has just the right kick of spice! It only requires one pot and can be ready for you in under an hour.
I have been having so much fun creating healthy halloween ideas for you all this year. So far along with this soup, I have shared my apple monster mouths and stuffed bell pepper jack-o-lanterns, all very easy to make.For the decor, I used a full-fat coconut milk, and drizzled it into each design using a spoon and butternut, interchangeably. If you would like, draw on the design with the knife first (without the milk) so that you have a template to work from. Get creative. Try making a ghost, witches hat, alien, etc!
Feel free to use a curry powder of your choice. For this recipe, I used two of my favorites. The first is a blend from Penzey’s in Santa Monica, called Sweet Curry Powder. This curry powder is sweet and mild as compared to others I have tried. The second is the Merchant Blend from Savour This Kitchen, another local business in Venice, CA. Not only do I love their Merchant Blend, but I also have enjoyed using all four of their spice blends, which you can read about here. The spider web decoration may seem intricate, but it is actually very simple. All you have to do is draw concentric circles on the surface of the soup. Then, using a knife or a toothpick, drag the lines from the center out toward the edges to create a web design. If you want, plop a small dot in the middle once completed, as I did.Print
Curried Squash & Cauliflower Soup (salt- & oil-free)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 3-5
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 1/4 cups acorn squash, roughly chopped
- 16 oz. pumpkin puree
- 1 medium head cauliflower (white or orange*)
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water if preferred)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon Penzey’s Sweet Curry Powder*
- 1/4 tbsp Savour This Kitchen Merchant blend*
- ¾ teaspoon healthy green salt substitute or salt
- 4-6 turns fresh black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients (except the coconut milk) into a medium sized pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Allow it to sit for 20-25 minutes, or until the squash and cauliflower are very soft.
- Transfer the pot ingredients and the coconut milk into a high speed blender and run until smooth. Taste, and add additional seasonings if desired.
- Pour into serving bowls, and garnish with coconut milk.
*Yes, you can use purple cauliflower as well, but the color of the soup will probably be brown instead of orange.
*Or sub in your favorite curry powder.
You can sub sweet potato, butternut squash, or any sweet fall squash for the pumpkin and acorn squash in the recipe.
Spider web: draw several concentric circles on the surface of the soup. Then, using a knife or a toothpick, drag the lines from the center out toward the edges to create a web design.
Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which simply means that I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Sweet Simple Vegan!