Every year when I was younger, my family and I would take a trip down to San Diego and visit Lego Land and Sea World (unfortunately). I loved Sea World the most, as I loved seeing and touching the animals, but also, it meant we got to get some Dippin Dots. We loooooved that stuff, the banana split flavor was my favorite flavor.
When making my banana nice cream the other day for lunch, I realized that midway, the bananas looked like Dippin Dots! It blew my mind, and I immediately got the idea of this recipe.
I also got interested in taking a look at the ingredients list and nutritional facts of the original Banana Split Dippin Dots, and compared it my low-fat raw vegan version.
Original Banana Split Dippin Dots
Serving of 85g Calories 160 Calories from Fat 70 Amount Serving Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 24mg Sodium 45mg Total Carbohydrates 20g Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 19g Protein 3g Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 10% Iron 0% * Percentage values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Source: Dippin Dots Website
Ingredients: Whole milk, cream, nonfat milk solids, sugar, guar gum, carrageenan, red #40, yellow #5, chocolate syrup (high fructose corn syrup, water, cocoa processed with alkali, xanthan gum, sugar, salt), vanilla, strawberry juice, natural and artificial flavors.
Sweet Simple Vegan Banana Split Dippin Dots
Serving of 85g ~Calories 61 Calories from Fat 0 Amount Serving Total Fat 0.32g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 1mg Total Carbohydrates 15.5g Dietary Fiber 2.2g Sugars 8.41g Protein .88g Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 1% Iron 2% * Percentage values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Source: Happy Forks
Ingredients: Bananas, strawberries and cacao powder*.
*Feel free to substitute cocoa or carob powder.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 fresh bananas
- 1.5 cups frozen strawberries, preferably organic
- ½-1 tbs raw cacao powder*
- If you don't already have frozen bananas and strawberries, cut up and freeze 2 bananas and the strawberries the night before.
- Place the other 2 fresh bananas and the cacao powder into a food processor or small blender and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl or jar and freeze overnight.
- Into your food processor, place in the 2 plain frozen bananas. Pulse until broken and crumbly, like dippin' dots. Place into a large bowl and place into the freezer as you make the next flavor. Do the same with the strawberries, and then with the chocolate bananas.
- After placing all of three into the freezer either the same or separate bowls, freeze for about 30 mins-1 hour. This will allow for each individual piece to harden up to get the authentic dippin' dots feel.
- Combine all three into a large bowl if separated and dig in!