I recently made (and posted) The Best Vegan ‘Cheese’ (Cashew-free) recipe created by Minimalist Baker both on my site and on my Instagram, and it turned out to be a huge hit! The recipe is cashew, soy, dairy, and gluten-free and is way lighter in fat than nut and dairy-based cheese sauce, and SO. FREAKING. GOOD!
The only problem was that I had made so much of it AND ran out of things to dip into it. I headed to my fridge to grab the cauliflower and chop it up to use as a “chip” as I had the jicama and broccoli, but then, a big lightbulb appeared in my head! I could slather on the cheese and roast the cauliflower, WHOLE! I was introduces to the idea by My New Roots, but never tried it as her marinade was not vegan. I knew that I could come up with a marinade that would be delicious for the recipe someday, but the idea eventually left my mind and I never got around to it. Well, with the help of Dana, I finally had what I needed.
I have to admit that the look of this kind of left me uneasy. I love me some cauliflower, don’t get me wrong, but this cauliflower reminded me, all brown and full of grooves, of a brain! A little freaky if I do say so myself, but the first taste of it was able to wipe the idea from my mind completely. Plus, once I cut into it, it no longer looked brain-y.
You can serve this up however you’d like: as an entree, atop a salad, as a side dish to your main meal, you choose! You can also serve it up with a dipping sauce if you desire. I cut it up like a cake as I felt it would be most presentable in that way (for pictures), but you can cut and chop however you please.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Prep Time: 8 hours 45 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 9 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 head of cauliflower
- The Best Vegan Cheese:
- Half of a medium eggplant
- Olive oil and sea salt if desired
- 1.5-2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp guar gum
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa, slightly drained
- Smoked paprika and hot sauce for added color and flavor to top upon serving
- For full instructions for the ‘cheese’, visit simplevegan.com/2014/05/25/the-best-vegan-cheese-cashew-free/ 🙂
- Place the cauliflower on a large plate or in a large bowl (make sure its wider than the cauliflower to its easier to maneuver).
- Cover the cauliflower with the “cheese” cause until fully coated, making sure you cover the bottom as well. I didn’t smear a thick layer, but rather coated it enough so that no white is visible.
- Place your cauliflower in your fridge, covered, for a minimum of 1 hour, max about 12. I left mine overnight, for about 8 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. On a prepared baking sheet, place your cauliflower and roast for 40-50 mins or until tender. Be sure that you baking sheet has a lip, and this will release some juices that you don’t want to have to clean up later!
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for about 15 mins before serving.
- Slice, and enjoy!